Squash and Mushroom with Coconut Milk Soup

This was so very, very delicious and would be acceptable to have with your fast as it is liquidfied.  It takes a little preparation as you must peel the butternut squash and chop it.  I bought a nice size one and it made enough for 3 pots of soup and so I froze 2 bags for later use.

I changed this recipe from the one I saw online because I did not have any leeks.  Instead I used some green onions.  I added in some chickpeas in the end also and the original recipe did not call of this.  The original recipe called for using parsley on top and I opted to use Swiss Chard.  You can top the soup with any green you decide on.  I love the raw texture of the greens and so I did not cook it in the soup, but layered it on top as a dressing.

Ingredients:
  • Approximately 2 1/2 cups of chopped squash
  • 1 1/2 cups of spring water
  • 1 cup of coconut milk
  • 1 inch of ginger, minced
  • 1 teaspoon of cardamon powder or 4 pods chopped
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
  • 1 medium size green onion
  • 1 cup of chickpeas
  • 1 cup of button mushrooms or mushrooms of your choice
  • 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil
  • Handful of fresh herbs (parsley, spinach, Swiss Chard, Basil)

Note:  that spinach is not approved on the Dr. Sebi Diet.

Instructions:
  1. In a large saucepan add in the squash, water, sea salt, cardamon, ginger and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat.
  2. Cook until the squash is done enough to blend with a hand blender or emulsifier.  If you do not have a hand blender then it is ok to blend in a blender.  Add in the chick peas that have been cooked already.  Do not use canned beans.
  3. Blend the soup well.  In a separate skillet heat the oil and add in the chopped green onion and mushrooms.  I chopped my mushrooms to small chunks and did not like the slice large pieces.
  4. When the onions are softened and slightly brown remove from the stove and add to the soup.  Cook another 5 minutes.
  5. Ladel the soup in bowls and top with the fresh greens.  No need to serve anything else


1 comment: